Division of Corporations and Commercial Code Answering your Questions

April 27, 2022

Setting up a business, and navigating all the different aspects that come along with it, can seem intimidating. The Utah Department of Commerce and its Division of Corporations and Commercial Code want to make the process easier by answering your questions so that you can navigate this process smoothly.
We are happy to announce our Division of Corporations and Commercial Code updated its website. The updated website has a section focused on answering common questions to help you easily find your way around. We hope this helps you find what you need to know about setting up and managing your business entity.
Here are a few questions we had on our Google reviews this last year:
Q: How do I cancel our LLC?
A: You may file either a Statement of Dissolution or Statement of Termination with our office. Both forms can be found here. If you need help determining which one to file, you should review Part 7 of the Utah Revised Uniform Limited Liability Company Act.

Q: What are the rules for dissolving a private 501(c)3 foundation?
A: “501(c)(3)” is actually a tax status with the IRS, and is not related to what we do here at the Division of Corporations and Commercial Code. If the entity is a Utah nonprofit corporation, you can cancel/dissolve a domestic nonprofit corporation by completing Articles of Dissolution. There are 2 Articles of Dissolution forms, one for corporations with shares and one for corporations without shares. You will need to pick the one that best suits your corporation.

Q: How do I apply for a new business license?
A: Business licensing is done through the city or county where the business is located. You should contact the applicable city or county for help applying for a business license. https://corporations.utah.gov/2021/11/15/business-licensing/
Most cities maintain very helpful websites to assist applicants.

Q: What do I need to register a Business?
A: The answer to this question really depends on what type of entity you want to register. You can find a list of the entities the Division of Corporations and Commercial Code registers and the requirements for registration of each entity here. If you need help decided what type of entity to form, please review this resource.

Q: Does the state still require an agent for service of process to be named when forming a new business entity?
A: Yes. A registered agent with a Utah street address must be named when an entity registers with the Division of Corporations and Commercial Code.

Q: Where do I send a corporation form to?
A: You can send completed Articles of Incorporation, along with the applicable filing fee listed on the form, to us via fax (801-530-6438) or mail:
Utah Division of Corporations & Commercial Code
PO Box 146705
Salt Lake City Utah 84114-6705

If you are paying the filing fee by credit card, you should include a completed payment cover letter. You may also pay by enclosing a check (if you’re mailing it). We cannot accept payment information via email.

Hopefully the above will be a good resource for you, and we have answered some of your questions. If there is something we have not covered, please feel free to call us at 801-530-4849.